Loomy Thoughts

Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Another quick update...

This loom stand:
is what we've been working on the past couple of evenings (though not very hard, plus I needed more hardware, which is why it has taken us two evenings). This is the stand DH originally built for my RH looms; it was to be adjustable enough that it would work with all the different sizes except the Hearthside. As it turned out, it didn't seem quite steady enough for the Harp, so I ended up ordering the Kromski stand - at least this way we would know how a stand is supposed to work. The pictures online certainly don't give you much for clues!

Anyway, it worked ok for the Mattel loom, even using just clamps (I didn't want to drill holes in the Mattel loom). And then the Flip came. And the spinning/weaving demo this weekend. I thought I would take both the Babe and the Flip, so I needed a stand. The Flip's stand-holes are way back towards the warp beam, and way up front by the cloth beam, and there was no way the homemade stand would work without re-designing it unless I wanted to sit on the floor, so...


VoilĂ ! The redesigned stand. We (really, 'he') added adjustable arms, plus an adjustable brace at the bottom so I can still use the Mattel loom on it. It's a bit short for me the way the Flip fits on it, but it works well enough for a temporary stand at least. After the weekend I may or may not add some height to it. I also want to drill some holes for pegs to hang my tools on the stand - I love that about the Harp stand. I might add a bar across the bottom in the back with upright pegs to hold cones or balls of yarn. This stand's design will probably be a work-in-progress for some time. :-)

Speaking of cones of yarn - the order I placed with Elmore-Pisgah for Peaches & Cream yarn Sunday night? IT'S HERE ALREADY. Is that awesome or what?! I am so buying from them again. Now if only they did carpet warp....

Tomorrow night I need to start the Icelandic roving on the Babe and card some wool for the Spindolyn for the demo, wind off the cop and start another (starting is the hardest part for me). And I need to gather the weaving materials I might need, and get further along on the current dishcloth so it actually looks like something. And then take the Flip off the stand and fold it and take the stand apart and see how much I can fit on my 'hand truck'. It's like those suitcase carts you see people pulling their luggage after them at airports, but mine is sturdier (though it could use bigger wheels for 'off-roading'). Last year I was able to get my chair, Babe and fiber all packed onto the handtruck; I might have to make two trips this year though.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home