Loomy Thoughts

Saturday, May 05, 2007

A quick update

since I was lazy and frittered the morning away. I have started the dishcloths on the Flip - the first one is finished in fact. Here are pics of it in progress:

I really like how this is turning out, although I have to think a little more than usual for plain weave. This is the back (I don't know why this pic has a sepia-like tone):


And this is the bag I picked up at Hobby Lobby. It's called a "Seminar Tote", and though the Flip sticks out a couple of inches I think it will be sufficient, especially since it has a shoulder strap. It has a bit of padding, plus some pockets (which of course aren't the right size for anything).

I might do some color experiments on these dishcloths as well, since they are going relatively fast (about an hour and a half to two hours each with interruptions and watching TV). Right now I'm doing one pick of blue, then one pick of white. Next I'm going to see what two picks per color looks like, and I may end up adding a third color on the third cloth if I can find a complimentary color in my stash. This is fun!


A Preliminary Flip Review:

So far, the Flip isn't uncomfortable to use, but I really wish there were knobs on both sides of the beams, instead of just on the right. Also, it's a bit long for my taste, but then I have short arms so it might just be me. I do like how compactly it folds; I'm not sure how it would compare to a folded 16" Harp with a warp on it. I'm using it propped up against a table, and it seems to work ok that way. At this point though, I'm not seeing any advantage to the Flip over the Harp. One drawback of the Flip is the limited instructions you get with it - that could be a problem for new weavers. The Harp comes with better instructions plus a video - a huge help to us visual learners.

Though the jury is still out on whether I will return the Flip for a Harp, if I had it to do over again I would buy a Harp instead - they are less expensive, more attractive, and I like the knobs better. Being already set up for two heddles isn't that big of a deal for me, as I'm sure DH can make up some heddle blocks that will work on the Harp for me when and if I decide to use two or more heddles. I do like the heddle hook a lot, but it won't work in the Harp's heddle holes so it's use is limited. I like the Flip's warping peg better too, but I can easily make something similar. The Ashford heddles fit both looms, so that's not a consideration. Hopefully I'll get this warp finished off before I have to decide for sure, and I'll be weaving the towels on the Harp at the same time to get a better of idea of what works better for me.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

  • Thanks for the review and the reminder that the Ashford heddles fit the Kromski. I'll be ordering that blue Ashford heddle for my 24" Kromski soon! Pretty dishcloth,
    Li

    By Blogger Life's a Stitch, at 5/06/2007 11:54 AM  

  • Those Ashford heddles certainly stand out - the 5 is PINK.

    Thanks for the dishcloth comment - such a small project is certainly keeping my attention since they go so fast! I'm big on instant gratification! :-D

    I haven't forgotten your scarf - I'm debating whether to frog it and start on a larger needle since it's twisting (like it's biased).

    By Blogger CL, at 5/06/2007 3:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home