Loomy Thoughts

Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Time sure flies...

I meant to do a post with pictures for the past two days, but never quite got to it. So this morning I have a picture-less post, and I'll try to post a few pictures (none of the demo, though) tonight.

The demo was fun, and I got a lot done. Many people were interested in my spinning wheel because it's pvc. A lot of people were looking for portable wheels, which everyone who was spinning brought - a Gem, a Joy, and... shoot, I don't remember what the other one was - a Louet? Nope, it was a Lendrum. I was surprised at how large the Lendrum looked between the Gem and the Joy. I decided to spin a ball of red space-dyed (I think) roving that I picked up at the spin-in last fall. Luckily I unrolled it the night before, as I spent several hours picking out a bunch of v-m. :-( It was a tough spin too - I don't know if it was the dye used or my lack of experience with this unindentifiable wool, but it seemed to stick together and I had a time trying to draft it. That said, the spinning went pretty quickly so I'll be done with this soon, and then I need to go back and finish up the Icelandic.

People were also interested in the Flip. There was a Baby Wolf there, which attracted a lot of attention, but especially kids (maybe around 10-ish? I'm awful at judging kids' ages) were really interested in the Flip and the dishcloth project. Perhaps because I was doing color experiments and this pattern looks different when you change anything in the weft. I think it really helped that one shed is one color of warp, and the other is two different colors so it was easier to see the difference moving the heddle up and down made. I was really surprised by how interested a young boy was - he thought the color changes were "COOL!" and watched me for a little while. I can see the end of the warp already, but I think there is room for one more dishcloth which I'm saving to weave until this weekend when I go to visit the family for the holiday. I think for next year's event I'll try to figure out a way to do a plaid with worsted cotton, so it will be even easier to see what I'm doing.

The guild members were also interested in the Flip and the Spindolyn - they had never seen either and were impressed with how easy it was to fold the Flip and the relatively-small bag it fits into, the attractive yet simple pattern (thank you Betsey!), and how long the Spindolyn spins. I was getting a pretty good thread on the Spindolyn as well, though my cop-winding needs a lot of work. They were also impressed by the home-made RH stand, which worked well even with the uneven ground. I do need to change the top attachment to slots like the Harp stand, as it will be a lot easier to put the loom on the stand that way.

Pictures later!

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home