Loomy Thoughts

Sunday, June 17, 2007

Picture Sunday!

I haven't been getting much crafting done, so I don't have much to report. But I'll show you what I've been doing:I would like to have a spot where I can keep a wheel and chair together, where I can just sit down and spin for a few minutes, instead of the current method of 'dragging' the wheel out of the bedroom (where I'm currently keeping it - good thing it's lightweight!), finding where I stashed the chair (usually in the living room), and then finding enough open floor space to sit & spin.

So I'm converting our guest room into a room we (or, probably more accurately, I) can use daily. The bed will be sold or donated, and we'll put a futon or daybed in there. The room is really small, so we can't put much in there, but I would like to move the exercycle in as well as the ready-to-spin wheel (and a set-up RH loom, if possible). The guest room has been serving a
s a 'keep the dogs out of stuff' room so it catches everything. I spent quite a bit of time sorting through the stuff that was in there and putting it where it belongs.

I also organized my spinning fiber, and except for what is in-progress and what is next in line (and the silk hankies), it is all put away now. :-) I found some really pretty stuff to spin that I had completely forgotten about - good thing I'm getting a second wheel (that does mean I'll get more spinning done, doesn't it? ;-) ). Though I seem to be missing a couple of bobbins; hopefully they'll turn up soon.

I also did this today:
I finally broke down and set the twist (or washed) the plyed alpaca. I had been putting it off as I am somewhat paranoid about ruining my first plying job. I used a little bit of Orvus soap, as I don't think the alpaca was very dirty, and then did one rinse. I think it looks clean, don't you? I don't think I'll use the niddy noddy for this next time though - I had to use way too much water to cover it. Living on a well has it 's drawbacks - such has having to drive to town for a tank of water when you run the well dry, which happens regularly in the summer here. I'll just skein it on the skeinwinder and then I'll be able to use a tub or the kitchen sink, and much less water. The top is already dry, but the bottom is pretty damp - it's going to take awhile to dry, it appears.

In the interest of trying to get organized and not having so much clutter, I've decided to let one of my other rigid heddle looms go. Luckily it is going to a new home where it will be used to teach others. If you remember, last summer I tried switching the warp from the Mattel to my NSI loom, and discovered the Harp had spoiled me - though the NSI loom isn't a bad loom, the Harp is ever so much easier on my back, and much sturdier. But the NSI loom is good for beginners, and I hope it gets used a lot, as it wasn't likely to get used here anymore. I'll miss it though - it was my first RH loom. :-)


And lastly: a commenter asked for a picture of the Flip's heddle block, and here it is (the Flip is folded for storage):

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

  • Thanks for the picture of the Flip heddle block! I was curious to see how it is set up for multi-RH weaving. I had my DH add an extra set of blocks to my Schacht RH loom so I could use 3 RHs. It works pretty well, although the shed has to be fiddled with. While it's nice to know I can do 4H weaving on my RH loom, I think I'll stick to my floor loom for 4H weaving. It was an interesting experiment.
    Trisha

    By Blogger Trisha, at 6/18/2007 4:16 AM  

  • You're welcome! I haven't figured out how the Flip's multiple-heddle setup works yet, though I haven't tried it (and don't have a second heddle of the same dent yet). I like the loom though; it's a well-built RH. But I think I'd rather use multiple heddle blocks such as you tried rather than the way the Flip is set up.

    By Blogger CL, at 6/18/2007 9:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home