Loomy Thoughts

Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Happy Fourth of July!

I have a little bit of lousy plying to show you. First, here is my 'invention':

Two clamps, a dowel rod, and some leftover carpet warp to loosely tie the dowel to the uprights, and voilĂ  - a bobbin-holder so I can unreel the yarn. It worked really well for winding off onto the ball winder that is across the room:
I wanted to make the red stuff into a center-pull ball so I would have two ends to ply from. Those clamps are quite handy to have; I have several stashed here-and-there (mostly where DH won't see them and abscond with them).

I'm discovering that this is not my favorite way to ply - the two strands get twisted below my hands and I have to stop and untwist them every so often - usually on the rare occasion when things a
re going well. :-( There must be a better way - I'll have to research it. This plying isn't going so well - or at least it's more obvious than the alpaca I was I plying due to the differing colors of the strands. This particular piece looks good though:


And how much I've done so far:

It's going quite slowly - I thought I'd be done already. Unfortunately I decided to do it on the Pedal Pusher, so now I'm kind of stuck with doing it until I finish. I tried transferring it to the Production wheel, but it has the same problem the plying flyer I bought for the Pro did - the arms of the flyer hit the maiden so it can't rotate. I do have the Polwarth to spin on the Pro though.


I plan to do some weaving today; perhaps I'll get the last towel finished. DH is working on the raddles so I should have them ready to test on my next warp. :-) They are long enough that they will work on all the RH looms; and I plan to be able to hook them together to use on the floor loom.


I've re-started Li's (Life's a Stitch blog) scarf again, but have to take it slow due to my CTS flare-up that is taking forever to get better. So far I've done one repeat, so I can't tell how well the larger needles are working, but it sure is easier knitting!


Labels:

2 Comments:

  • Hi CL, You've been busy since I last commented! I've been busy too, unfortunately not busy crafting :-( Just though I'd drop you a line to encourage your plying from a center pull ball. I ply this way all the time and like you I was frustrated with the twisting until I discovered steam. Now I pop the ball in my steamer for a few minutes before I start plying and the single stay well behaved and my plying is done in no time. Just thought you might like to give it a try.
    Peace C

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/13/2007 9:12 AM  

  • Hi C!

    Interesting idea - I'll try that on my next plying-from-a-single-ball experiment. I think my twisting problem was because of the yarn coming off around the center yarn though. The steam ought to help with the single coming unspun in spots though (I hope) - thanks! :-)

    It's hard to keep up the crafting pace sometimes - I've been more off than on myself lately.

    Hope you get back to it soon, C!

    By Blogger CL, at 7/13/2007 10:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home