Loomy Thoughts

Tuesday, July 03, 2007

It's a Lazy Tuesday!

I took today off, and so far I haven't done a thing. :-) I do plan to do some crafting stuff shortly though - particularly winding the red stuff into a center-pull ball so I can ply it.

First - ta-da!

The guest room is now a usable room. The exercycle as well as both spinning wheels fit easily. I'm debating getting rid of the rocking chair, as I never sit in it, it takes up an excessive amount of space, & attracts junk. Everything is lightweight (except the antique dresser that you can't see; the bike has wheels) so it will be easy to move things around as needed. And with the center of the room open, I can use my interlocking foam blocks to block lace (if I ever finish knitting the lace!).


I've done some weaving - the second towel is done:

and I'm about halfway through the third (doesn't that look like a bow in the middle? Or are my eyes deceiving me?). Which reminds me of something else I want to do today - make raddles. The closer I get to the end of the warp, the nastier the warp looks - it is tangled and twisted and a mess, and I do not know how it ended up like that - it looked ok when I was winding on. Several of the warp threads are suddenly loose as well. My NSI loom had 'teeth' that you tied on to, and I was able to wind-on a warp quite nicely on that; so I'm hoping raddles will help the same way the teeth might have (and instead of putting just one raddle on, on the cloth beam, I will probably use two - front-and-back). I'm also going to try lashing-on on my next Flip warp.

Here is my hem experiment - on the bottom we have carpet warp; on the top, crochet thread.

Both require extra-hard beating with a hair pick, but especially the crochet thread. As hard as it is, I think the dent might be too small. I have yet to wash the dishcloths woven with an 8-dent heddle to see how the hand changes once washed - I'd better get that done as well (the towels are being woven with a 10-dent heddle).


I've also been spinning on the Pedal Pusher - it stands a good chance of becoming my favorite wheel. I was able to sit in my La-z-boy last night and lean back and spin comfortably, just like in the picture on Nels' site; and I'm getting the feel of the easy treadling action. I've been able to slow down (whew! my hands couldn't keep up) and usually can start in the direction I want to go. I think I'll try plying the red stuff on the Pedal Pusher, and see how that goes.


Looks like I'd better get started - the day's a-wastin'!

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home