Loomy Thoughts

Monday, July 16, 2007

Monday will be for spinning...

I tried to get a better picture of the red yarn, but the color just won't come out right. But here it is in a skein (pre-washing):

The color is darker or duller - maybe a bit more orangey - than it appears in the picture. I must admit to being a little impressed how it turned out (mostly due to the dye-job though - the spinner gets little credit in this!). I ended up with 172 yards by my calculations, so whatever I make from it will be a small project. I remember seeing a scarf pattern that might work for it; hopefully I'll run across the pattern again soon.

Since that turned out so well I decided to start spinning this (plus my sister gave it to me, and I was going to help her with her spinning this weekend (the blind leading the blind comes to mind!), so I thought it was an appropriate choice):

I'm thinking of doing this in a 3-ply - I've already separated the original bump (?) into three strips, and think it will be cool to see if I can match up the colors somewhat. Of course with my uneven spinning who knows what will happen, but it will be interesting!

I did the first bobbin this weekend, and hope to do a second today:

This time I'm planning ahead - doing each third on a separate bobbin so I won't be trying to ply from a center-pull ball this time.


I visited the family this weekend so I didn't do any weaving, but I tried to help my sister spin on her new beautiful Kromski Sonata. I was surprised to find that trying the Sonata made me glad I have Babes - Babes are so much easier to set up and use, and I thought the Sonata was hard to treadle (for me - it's all personal preference). She tried out the Pedal Pusher as well, and liked it - especially being able to sit back and spin. That's one of my favorite 'features' of the Pedal Pusher as well. My other (non-spinning) sister had a go on the Pedal Pusher too - she did quite well for not having spun before. I might get her hooked yet!

Labels:

1 Comments:

  • Hi CL,
    I think your yarn looks great! I love the colors and I love the colors of the roving you're spinning now.

    Happy crafting!
    C

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/17/2007 6:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home