Loomy Thoughts

Sunday, January 25, 2009

I've been doing a little weaving,

And a lot of surfing. An online friend wants to do an Elsebeth Lavold knit-along (small projects and a sloooow pace :-) ) so I've been looking for my Lavold books and drooling over them. :-) There is also a big following on Ravelry, and many beautifully-knit pieces!

Here is the weaving:


I am making progress, but I imagine I have a ways to go yet. But it's an easy weave - I can watch TV and do this simple pattern, and I love how the fabric is turning out.


I was going to knit a balaclava for walking the dogs - even picked out a pattern - but changed my mind and cast on a hooded scarf.... and then changed my mind again and was going to knit a Malagaiter (pattern on Ravelry). But while I was looking at the Lavold patterns I found a nice plain hood in "Viking Patterns for Knitting" that looks easy enough ("Vigdis") to be relatively quick, and calls for chunky wool which is what I wanted to use. So I frogged what little I had done on the hooded scarf and cast on the hood last night. I've only knit a couple of inches, but so far so good:

Yeah, I know - it's only ribbing, but it sure looks nice, and I'm really loving the color of this Cascade 128. :-) I will do a Malagaiter eventually, probably to keep in the car. A Ravelry-er told me there is a neat hood in book #9 too, but it looks like it is cabled and I want the hood done sooner rather than later (and I don't have book 9 - YET). So that hood is also in my future, most likely. :-D

The new needles for the Estonian shawl shipped Friday, so I should have them in about a week. In the meantime, the shirt and this hood will keep me busy (I'm taking a bit of a break from the Textures & Patterns sampler). And I'm planning to get the rug loom on it's stand next weekend and start on the rug.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

  • It's beautiful!!! Can't wait to see the finished huipil!
    Trisha

    By Blogger Trisha, at 1/26/2009 4:21 AM  

  • Thanks Trisha! This is definitely a fun weave, even though it's taking awhile and I'm usually a small-project kind of crafter. :-)

    By Blogger CL, at 1/26/2009 7:08 AM  

  • Beautiful! I'm looking forward to seeing it finished! :-)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1/27/2009 11:21 AM  

  • Thanks Denyse! Me too! LOL

    By Blogger Unknown, at 1/27/2009 11:48 AM  

  • Beautiful huipil, Cindy! :-) I love the pattern! :-)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2/13/2009 9:23 AM  

  • Hi Michele,

    I can't tell you how to do it, as it's a published pattern - but I can tell you where to get it (and that it uses a pick-up stick). It's in "A Handwoven Treasury", the pattern is by Betty Davenport, and I borrowed the book from the library so check with your library or it's interlibrary loan department. :-D

    It's a surprisingly simple pattern, and would make an awesome runner as well as a top!

    By Blogger CL, at 2/15/2009 7:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home