Loomy Thoughts

Sunday, March 22, 2009

My favorite part of weaving...

is NOT the finishing part of projects. :-P But I finally fired up the sewing machine to start finishing new and olde (so old they require the old spelling :-P) projects such as the dishcloths from... maybe last summer?


And I finished the huck sample; here is the front (my camera made it a very odd color - it's supposed to yellow):



and the back:


And I decided to do one more sample before cutting the Textures & Patterns warp off of the Flip for now - and boy am I glad I did. Here is what you see while you are weaving:


Nice, but it doesn't seem to have the same visual effect as the photo in the book (Color Variation 1).

Then I cut it off the loom and looked at the underside - WOW:


I absolutely LOVE this (it's easy too)! I will be doing something with this pattern soon!



Well lookee here:


The shirt is finally off the Harp! I still had a few inches of warp left, but I was getting tired of weaving it, and it was becoming difficult to weave with the pattern stick so close to the end of the warp. I washed it today, and it is soooo soft now!


I liked it quite a bit before, but I think I like it even more now! It really closed up after washing and drying too - it certainly doesn't look airy any more! Now if I can just sew it up properly....


I warped up the cradle loom for a sample band using a RH from Everybody's Weaving (great book from the 70s); and warped the Flip for a Brooks Bouquet placemat from the newly revised version of the Ashford Book of Rigid Heddle Weaving. Those little balls of DMC 8 thread that it calls for don't go very far - I used 2 1/2 balls just on the warp (the pattern is written for just one mat using four balls of DMC 8 - a set of four would be a little pricey unless you find a good deal on DMC 8 or use a substitute). Love the shimmery yarn though. I haven't started weaving on either project yet, so no pictures.


And since I haven't posted a puppy pic in awhile, and I almost never get a good picture of my Lab mixes because they are black, here is a lucky shot of Lazy Girl from Friday. :-D

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

  • I just found your blog while looking for weaving yarn. I think all the information. I'm a really, really new weaver and just got a loom.

    By Blogger Julie, at 3/24/2009 9:13 AM  

  • Beautiful as always, Cindy! I really like the two color pattern. :-)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/26/2009 7:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home