Loomy Thoughts

Sunday, April 05, 2009

FINISHED!

It was way past time to cut the fabric for the shirt, so I finally bit the bullet and did it:


And I did the sewing after managing to avoid it for most of Saturday:


I'm not crazy about the couching down the center - I had trouble doing it evenly, but if you don't look too closely it looks ok.


I didn't add the called-for braid around the neck, though I'm thinking of adding something at the bottom of the "V" but haven't decided what yet. Since I have a few more curves than the models in the photo (A Handwoven Treasury, Interweave Press), it doesn't lay quite as nicely on me and barely fits even though I increased the warp width. I do like it though, and if I lose a little bit of weight, which is on the list of 'things to do this year', it will look nicer. It's also a great look for a serape, using a heavier yarn.


I put another warp on the Harp while I was avoiding cutting and sewing the shirt:

This is the "Tweed So Fine" scarf pattern in Weaving Made Easy by Liz Gipson, and I'm using a shiny slubby acrylic yarn (that is actually taupe in color, not charcoal sigh). The heddle is abrading the slubby spots, so I'm going to stop using the heddle to line up the fell and just use the shuttle. And since it's acrylic, the warp tension is not as high as usual. Since I want this to be drapey, I'm not beating it at all - just pushing the picks in place. This will be a really quick project, judging by how fast it's gone so far.


And I started weaving this on the Flip last weekend:


This is the Brooks Bouquet place mat from the (revised) Ashford Book of Rigid Heddle Weaving. The pattern is not difficult at all, and I love the yarn (#8 perle cotton); it has a beautiful sheen to it.


I also started weaving this on the cradle loom (forgive the mess under the weaving!):



It's a sampler strip from a 70s book called Everybody's Weaving. I'm using LusterSheen that I had in the stash - what a nice yarn to weave with! I've only done 3 different patterns so far; I like that this is a narrow project as it goes faster. :-)

Wow - it looks like I've actually been doing stuff!

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home