Loomy Thoughts

Sunday, April 12, 2009

Whew!

I did some more finishing this week:


Jane to the rescue ("Plain Jane" or Jayne from Firefly - you choose!)! The fancy sewing machine just couldn't handle the thickness even though I had used carpet warp on the hems, so I used the faithful treadle. No problem for Ja(y)ne - I love those old machines! :-D

The finished dishcloths:


These turned out much better than the blue ones I did back in June 2007 in my opinion. They are a bit larger too, but not too much so.


And I tried to take a better picture of the shirt - plus I added a bow to the front (I think you can click to biggify):


I tried fiddling with the picture to get rid of the distracting background and sharpen the texture's relief. The shirt is not quite that bright in real life, but I think the texture shows a bit more now.

I did a few more inches on the scarf; I'm using my homemade temples as the sides of the scarf keep wanting to curl under a bit making a good selvedge difficult. Because I'm using acrylic I can't tighten down the warp enough to fix it that way. And I can't tell if I need to tighten the side warp threads or loosen them - I've not had a warp behave quite like this before. The center threads are all bunched together - perhaps an effect of not using the heddle to 'beat'? I'll try doing another section with the heddle as beater instead of the shuttle and see what happens.

This weekend I spent a good part of my time looking for one of my weaving booklets - I cannot find it anywhere. :-/ I even took everything off my craft bookcase (and of course not everything would fit back on!) looking for it, but no dice. Luckily I had made a photocopy of most of it since it's an older pamphlet not in the best of shape, but I sure wish I could find the original. I did discover that I have a surprising number of weaving books/pamphets/printed stuff from the internet. And an even more surprising number of knit and crochet books - I see a major weeding-out in my future.

There may not be a blog post next weekend - I get to go to a cotton spinning workshop on Saturday and Sunday! It's quite rare to have any spinning workshops here, so even though I'm not all that interested in spinning cotton I'm going. :-D

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

  • Great work, love the dishcloths! I am wondering about your treadle sewing machine. I have a Minnesota Model A, but the band to turn the crank is missing. What does your machine have to work the treadle with? Looks like possibly leather? thanks, Elaine.

    By Blogger Elaine, at 4/13/2009 6:53 PM  

  • Hi Elaine!

    Thanks!

    I'm using a bona-fide treadle drive band. You should be able to get it from your local sewing machine shop; you will have to cut your 'cord' to length and attach the ends together. If you can't find it there, join the TreadleOn group

    http://www.treadleon.net/

    They are extremely helpful there and will be able to hook you up with a source. :-D

    By Blogger CL, at 4/14/2009 7:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home